This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website.

Back to Latest Red Wheel Site

Leamington Lift Bridge, Edinburgh

Erected over the Union Canal at Fountainbridge in 1906. Relocated in 1923 whan the canal was cut back from Port Hopetoun to the Lochrin Basin


Region:
Edinburgh
Red Wheel Site:
Yes
Transport Mode(s):
Water
Address:

Leamington Rd,

Edinburgh

Postcode:
EH3 9PD
Visitor Centre:
No
Website:

About Leamington Lift Bridge, Edinburgh

The only hydraulic structure on the Union Canal, installed by the North British Railway  around 1906 where Fountainbridge crossed the canal, replacing a previous bridge built in 1869.When the canal was shortened in 1922 to make Lochrin Basin the terminus it was moved to its present site to replace a wooden drawbridge. It fell out of use by the 1960s, but as part of the Millennium Link project to restore the Union Canal required to be restored at least to allow boats to pass. A report published in the year 2000 had suggested fixing it permanently open, but the decision was taken to restore it to full working order. The restoration involved removing the deck and the top member of the bridge to access the inner workings. It opened for the first time on 16 May 2002, followed by an official opening ceremony on 24 May. Further restoration was required in 2018/9.

The bridge is constructed from a wooden deck that can be raised between two gantries to give a clearance of 9 feet (2.7 m) below.  but is not open to cars. A permanent lattice girder footbridge allows pedestrians to cross when the deck is raised. It is formed from riveted steel, with more substantial columns on the southern side where the motors and counterbalances are housed. The bridge can be opened by canal users after appropriate training from Scottish Canals. It is only the width of single canal boat.

The Red Wheel Plaque was unveiled by John Cameron CBE.

A full report on preceedings was published in The Edinburch Reporter

A copy of which can be downloaded here

 

Photos: John Yellowlees - with thanks

 

The bridge crosses between Gilmore Park and Leamington Road, a short distance west of the Lochrin Basin near the new Boroughmuir High School.

National Transport Trust, Old Bank House, 26 Station Approach, Hinchley Wood, Esher, Surrey KT10 0SR